Sunday 25 September 2011

The Pavilion at Serpentine

Peter Zumthor's 'Hortus Conclusus' is the 11th commission in the Serpentine's annual series and is right up our street! I took a wander through Hyde Park this afternoon and came across it by chance, and what a lovely surprise. From the outside it's actually very uninviting and I spent some time sat outside of it wondering whether I could be bothered to go in. I'm so glad I bolstered up the energy to take a look because inside, through dimly lit corridors it opened up into a lovely oblong garden surrounded by tables and chairs and loads of people sat taking in the gorgeous autumn day.



It was a lot busier than this today!

The concept for 'Hortus Conclusus' is provide a garden within a garden, a contemplative space away from the noise and traffic of London. And it really was like a vacuum from the city, I couldn't hear any noises other than those of the people sat next to me and I became very aware of the light. It's amazing what four walls and some flowers can do!

A x

Images courtesy of www.serpentinegallery.org



No comments:

Post a Comment